[Ci4cg-announce] How Civically Intelligent is your College or University?

Todd Davies davies at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 14 10:43:42 PDT 2016

I like the overall idea and the outline rubric, Doug. I am somewhat skeptical about trying to adapt the word "intelligence" to measure progressive social values. I realize, however, that you are heavily invested in the term "civic intelligence", and I respect the goals I think are behind that. It sort of reminds me of adaptations of the word "violence" to mean essentially the same thing as "injustice" (e.g. "structural violence", "economic violence", "cultural violence"). To the extent that I admire the hopes here, and I definitely do, I think trying to rank universities according to this rubric is a good way to promote the idea of civic intelligence. Universities tend to be thought of in relation to concepts such as "intelligent" and "smart", so using the word "intelligence" to judge their social values might be effective for that reason.

A challenge I see for this approach is that the concept itself may be so contentious that it will have a hard time getting traction, and may even spark a powerful counter-movement. The experience of trying to identify "peace" with "justice", which has had big names behind it (e.g. Martin Luther King) as well as an academic field of sorts (peace studies), may be instructive in that regard. An alternative approach, although one that would carry the project away from your concept of "civic intelligence", would be to assess universities according to somewhat more conventional (though still problematic) notions of intelligence, i.e. ones that relate to knowledge as opposed to values, and that can be tested objectively. How do students at different universities do, for example, on Simon Baron-Cohen's Reading the Mind in the Eyes test? Or, in the social welfare domain, how much do students know factually about topics like homelessness, economic inequality, police violence, and the effects of war on civilian populations? I bring up these ideas not to say that you should change your focus, but just that there are multiple ways to push back against the dominant and oppressive identification of universities with the ability to solve logic puzzles, and we should probably go at that from multiple angles.

Todd

Todd Davies
Symbolic Systems Program
Stanford University