[Ci4cg-announce] How Civically Intelligent is your College or University?

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Fri Jul 29 10:57:00 PDT 2016

This is quite belated but thanks for this note Eevi! it provides a lot of
information that will be especially pertinent if we go forward with this.

I need to really digest everything you've written in  your note.

— Doug

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 4:23 AM, Eevi Elisabeth Beck <e.e.beck at iped.uio.no> wrote:
>
> Dear friends,
>
> I'm interested to contribute to the conversation about how to encourage
> colleges and universities (and those who look at them) to become aware
> of and appreciate their potential to help students become more
> responsible citizens; for this to be seen as (close to) the core of what
> education is about.
>
> Others have looked at this too.
> Within the field of Education, practitioners and researchers have
> struggled for years with articulating such processes and aims in ways
> which communicate the intent, and with establishing them as legitimate
> aims for educative efforts.
>
> If you're interested to hear my views, read on; otherwise please do
> something which is more worthwhile for you right now.
>

> As the question of terminology (wording) already came up, maybe it's
> helpful to sketch some terms I know about and which I think relate
> closely to the efforts of Doug and the students:
>
> "Bildung":
> In the Germanic tradition, the term Bildung is perhaps seeing a revival
> these days as it's getting stripped of some elitist connotations which
> it had for a few hundred years. The term is also being used a little bit
> in English nowadays. I've co-authored two papers that look into this,
> aiming to spread its use and contribute to pushing at those boundaries
> by asking how it applies in professional education. The original meaning
> of Bildung is image, or development "in the image of". And some say it
> includes the silent space where we can touch and develop some solidity
> about our own truths, so we don't quite as easily get swept away by
> dominant ways of looking at the world (such as established ways of
> ranking universities).
> This could become individualist, but in the eyes of Wolfgang Klafki, a
> renewed concept of Bildung must include: self-determination
> (independence), co-determination (collaboration), and solidarity (with
> those who have less opportunities to develop their self- and
> co-determination).
>
> "Formation":
> Some of my colleagues looked into the related term Formation, which from
> what I know is more in use in the US than Bildung is. It seems to
> connote to more practical work (yet a UK colleague once reacted very
> strongly to the term Formation, hearing it as a straitjacket - the
> opposite of the intention).
>
> "Intelligences":
> As for intellingence(s), American educational researcher Howard Gardner
> once proposed that there are seven of them, of which conventional iq
> tests only address one. (Others include musical intelligence, etc).
> I really like the plural. Once we've opened up for the co-existence of
> multiple forms of intelligence, it doesn't matter to me if we say there
> are three or tree thousand of them. The point is that there is more,
> [...]

     http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament <http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (project)
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (book)
 http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601 <http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601>