[Ci4cg-announce] doug's answers to the six questions

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Sun Nov 5 15:45:47 PST 2017

As some of you may remember Justin, Anna, Fiorella, and I have been working on a special section for  AI & Society for a very long time. Too long, but that's a different story! At any rate the end is now quite a bit closer...

Part of our work on this was asking several questions and gathering the answers. This data is going into our introduction and we'll also share it here when it's ready. In the meantime I thought I'd share my responses....

[1] If you were going to ask the entire CI4CG group one (or more) questions, what would it / they be?

The dual questions I'd like to hear answered are: What can you offer to the group and what would you like to get from the group? Then we could try matching needs and offers.

[2] What definition of Collective Intelligence for the Common Good would you suggest? (Or: what attributes might it have?)

I would use some of the verbiage that I use when I talk about "civic intelligence." It helps address significant shared problems efficiently and  equitably. I also use the phrase "civic means for civic ends." My students and I have identified lots of enablers so let me mention just a few: humility, courage, social critique, social networks, and social imagination.

[3] Imagine a CI4CG event that you’d really like to attend. What would it look like? (Feel free to describe a broad vision or just an event or outcome that you personally find compelling.) [revised]

I would like to attend an event in which about 100 dedicated people attended that was convivial but was also structured so as to promote integration of all of the efforts in some meaningful way, i.e. nudged emergence.... It seems like this event could be a collaborating session not just a discussing session.

[4] What are some of the barriers that stand between our work and the outcomes we’d like to see?

lack of resources, including external inducement (such as funding streams) and time
lack of alignment or coordination, including the perceived need to do this
the over-strictness of the disciplines
a very persuasive social context that suggests that computing advances will automatically help us solve our problems

[5] Please describe one or more ways in which people in our community / network might be able to build on the work you're doing. [revised]

I can offer...

136 (or more) Liberating Voices patterns online, in book form, and in cards. Full decks of  cards in 4 languages besides English. These can be used in many ways — most  of which haven't been contemplated yet.

eLiberate, an online tool for supporting meetings using Roberts Rules of Order

The idea of civic intelligence and what that entails — an orienting paradigm, a set of methodologies, a way of seeing the world and one's place in it.

The desire to collaborate in a big project to integrate a broad variety of projects together ... somehow.

Maybe even more!

[6] Please send 1-10 sentences from a paper or from anything that you've written — whether or not it's published or not — that you think is pertinent. (As before you can send more than one thing — but, please, send me one short section.)

It wasn't obvious what to include here. This question wasn't easy to answer! Who asked that question in the first place anyway?!

So, I  selected the last few sentences from the Liberating Voices book that I wrote with 85 other people:

"The work does not end with the book. The Liberating Voices pattern language will continue to evolve, and we intend to use the Web and other venues to ensure that the work remains vital. This book is intended to promote communication that is alive and life affirming. The pattern language that we have created and presented in this book must also be alive if the communication revolution it helps spawn will assist humankind in its struggles.

If this effort helps in some way, the authors of this work will be pleased. And regardless of the success of this particular venture, humankind’s need to cultivate its collective wisdom remains crucial. All work is partial, and all thinking is only one step of a voyage, a voyage that one hopes is enlightening, productive, and engendering—and at the very least not destructive.

Liberating Voices, like life on earth, is intended to be part of the One Big Project. Have you enrolled?"

Thanks!

— Doug

Douglas Schuler
douglas at publicsphereproject.org <mailto:douglas at publicsphereproject.org>
Twitter: @doug_schuler

A Mobilization Story: Patterns for the Impending Emergency <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/content/patterns-impending-emergency>

Public Sphere Project <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/>

Creating the World Citizen Parliament <http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (Project <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv> / Book <http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601>)

Three patterns:
   Back to the Roots <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/content/back-roots>
   Demystification and Reenchantment <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/content/demystification-and-reenchantment>   Translation <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/content/translation>