[Ciran] Civic Intelligence Research and Action Network

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Sun Sep 6 12:19:57 PDT 2015

As you all know our proposal is now being reviewed by the Spencer Foundation. We hope they'll fund it!

We won't find out whether we've been funded until January but there is work that we should do before then.

Ideally several things will happen before January. These could include me coming in and presenting to your group. It could also include you presenting to my class (that starts in the very tail end of September) in-person or via Skype. It would be great if you could make some material on your project available for the students (and me) for use fall quarter.

The idea is that my students and I will help move your project forward and help you better achieve your objectives in some way. We will focus on the idea of civic intelligence, particularly through the capabilities framework (and, hopefully the Liberating Voices patterns), and through networked communication.

It is our hope that this approach will be win-win. Ideally we will all benefit from this ... ahem ... experiment — and I think it is more likely to be true if we focus on how to make it happen. We need to be thinking about how can we help? And what do the students (and me) need to know in order to help.

We also want to establish two somewhat informal plans before January (and winter quarter) arrive. One is what we'll do if Spencer funds the project and the other is what we'll do if they don't.

I'm sending this out on our new email list. If you want to communicate with the other liaisons (approximately 12 people) you can reply to this note or send email to ciran at scn9.scn.org.

Thanks!!

— Doug

PS. I'm off on a non-work-related vacation. I'll be mostly on the road or in Los Angeles from now until September 18. I will be able to check email...

PPS. Here's a sketch of a generic & rudimentary plan

Work with Liaison to develop plan (morph the basic model)
Meet with participants
   introduction to civic intelligence
   initial data gathering
   "problems" introduction
   teams developed
   workshop (pattern cards, apples to oranges version of pattern workshop, community inquiry, world cafe)
   problem discussion / inquiry ?!
design
act?
Debrief
Evaluate

Modes: (1) one hour once; (2) one hour, several sessions; (3) regular sessions extended or standing meetings...

Douglas Schuler
douglas at publicsphereproject.org <mailto:douglas at publicsphereproject.org>
Twitter: @doug_schuler

Creating the World Citizen Parliament
     http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament <http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (project)
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (book)
 http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601 <http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601>