[Pattern-language] 10 pattern categories

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Thu May 8 17:27:47 PDT 2014

alarmed by Google,  Facebook, NSA, etc. etc. etc.

For what it’s worth, here is a list of pattern categories that I believe would make a good start towards characterizing a strong civil society movement around information and communication in which community informatics played an important role.

What has been left out?

Comments are welcome....

10 PATTERN CATEGORIES for a Non Lethargic People’s Campaign

Vision and Purpose
   Why get involved? What would we really like to see in our information and communication systems?

Resource Development
   online and otherwise, a people’s Google?!

Education
   ourselves, our students, general public, venues, needs and approaches

Collaborative Venues and Values
   visioning, building, deliberating, experimenting

Network Development
   roles, infrastructure, branding, mission(s), outreach, other groups

Engagement
   with government, business, conferences, internet bodies, manifestos, critique

Community Interaction and Dialogue
   partnerships, community inquiry

Open Communication
   schedules, protocols, shared documents, forums

Early Warning and Rapid Response

Products
   events, white papers, op-eds, petitions, testimony

Self-Governance
   guidelines, procedures, documents, self-evaluation, using our (not developed yet) patterns

Yes, I know it's wacky....

Douglas Schuler
douglas at publicsphereproject.org
https://twitter.com/doug_schuler

Public Sphere Project
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/

Creating the World Citizen Parliament
     http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (project)
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (book)
     http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601