[Pattern-language] 10 pattern categories

Helmut Leitner leitner at wikiservice.at
Thu May 8 23:25:32 PDT 2014

Dear Doug,

just a few thoughts in brainstorming mode.

A while ago I started analizing the "patterns of the Commons Movement"
and found
that a wider concept of "Goods" is needed, so that one can say that
"some good is in
the center of a Commons Project" and "economy is about goods, and any
such good
can be also cared for by a Commons Project". If one defines such a
"Good", then you
find four subcategories: products, services, resources and infrastructures.

Now it happens that your categories contain:
Resource Development
    online and otherwise, a people's Google?!
Network Development
    roles, infrastructure, branding, mission(s), outreach, other groups
Products
    events, white papers, op-eds, petitions, testimony

One might think about the services, an whether the "Development"
aspect should be named or not. I'm very much in favour of it, because any
pattern language or patterns are related to some context that is thought
as being in a state of development, unfolding, design or creation.

If these categories can be grouped, than what about the other categories?
I think I see another subgroup around the "agents":

Education (as Self Development or Individual Unfolding, Emanzipation)
Collaborative Venues and Values (Community Development ?)
Community Interaction and Dialogue (also Community Development ?)
Self-Governance (Organisation Development)

One might think about the other levels of social organization:
family doesn't seem to have much weight nowadays (is this a problem),
"society development" is probably the overall context of what
Liberating Voices is about.

A third group seems to be about something like "capabilities" or
"issues of preception and interaction", that are somehow
indepent from the agents or work across all agents.

Early Warning and Rapid Response
Open Communication
Vision and Purpose

Somehow, I think there could be more in this, like
"dialogue building" or "conflict management", but this is
only a vague fealing. Or does the "collaboration" category
belong here?

Anyway, now it seems easier for me to think about whether the list
is complete and which concepts might be heading the others.

Old greek category builders always tried to build categories as
tree structures, trying to make sure that all phenomena
were covered.

Cheers!
Helmut

--
HLS SOFTWARE/WIKISERVICE    www.hls-software.at  www.wikiservice.at
leitner at hls-software.at                      leitner at wikiservice.at
DI Dr. Helmut Leitner   MOBIL: +43 676 7221638  TEL: +43 316 383820
Rosenberggürtel 41, A-8010 Graz, Österreich