[Realpoetik] Karyna McGlynn

RealPoetik Magazine realpoetik at scn9.scn.org
Tue Jun 2 12:21:38 PDT 2009

*The Room Folded in Gelid Light*

there was a wrought iron hole in my body
from my bed the retractor looked far away

I fingered the grillwork, the cool hard
lips of the thing someone said had teeth

might bite my finger, somebody said
don’t touch now, germs, in any case

mea culpa, what was I doing trapped
in a storm drain in the first place

somebody said I must be patient now
patient as patio furniture

it was out of my hands
there were eggs stuck in my iron mouth

my head swayed, an airy addendum
the soft shells pulsed like shrapnel

they were lodged in my coal hole
somebody said say you are only a house

*I am only a house*, good, now breathe

*Karyna McGlynn* was born and raised in Austin, TX and received her MFA from
the University of Michigan. Her first book, *I Have to Go Back to 1994 and
Kill a Girl, *won the 2008 Kathryn A. Morton Prize in Poetry from Sarabande
Books.  She’s the author of three chapbooks: *Scorpionica*, *Alabama
Steve,*and, forthcoming,
*Small Shrines*. Her poems have recently appeared in *Fence,* *Denver
Quarterly, Diode, Octopus, Typo, Caketrain *and* Anti-. *Karyna teaches at
Concordia University and will be the Claridge Writer-in-Residence at
Illinois College this fall. She edits *L4: The Journal of the New American
Epigram* with Adam Theriault.

--
RealPoetik
realpoetik.blogspot.com