[Realpoetik] Christina Frigo and Aaron Belz

RealPoetik Magazine realpoetik at scn9.scn.org
Tue May 12 10:08:49 PDT 2009

LIVING IN NEW YORK CITY IS LIKE DRINKING
FOUR GLASSES OF MILK IN A ROW
*Christina Frigo*

i.

Lights!  There are so many lights:
stop kind, window kind, sun, moon, florescent kind, high-up kind, hanging,
sconce,
floor, blinking, red, purple, stained glass kind, candle, flash, bright kind
and People!
The People: loud kind, and creepy, smart kind, business, sexy, friendly,
playing-bucket-
drums-in-the park-kind, rich, arty, snobbish,
well-read/dressed/traveled/fed/thought of
kind, also the bright kind, and every kind, kind kind. Statues, too

ii.

Wow how bright these people and lights are!
should be dark but I'm squinting
neighbors shout for one of two reasons
and of course cars and construction
suggest ear plugs at night
but I have made friends with some kinds of people I am in love
with some kinds of light

iii.

This is not as easy-going as the first glass
Mom still can't find "reason to visit"
"seen all the statues, dear"    Dad stopped sending money
This city
talks to traffic in tunnels
I want to touch these people
but I feel too far away

iv.

It smells like microwaved garbage
feces on statues: bird kind
on sidewalks: dog kind, People kind
lines are long
light makes what I don't want to see
I get stomach aches

 FOUR GLASSES OF MILK
*Aaron Belz*

* *
New York City--
luminous, populous,
and with statuary.

Also clangorous,
tumultuous--its populace
vociferous. Very.

Where are my parents?
Where are my parents?
I'm all out of money.

It's so malodorous
as to leave me
nauseous.

~
Christina Frigo has a poem in the current issue of decomP (
http://www.decompmagazine.com). <http://www.decompmagazine.com%29./> She
lives in New York City and has a degree in English from Illinois State
University.

Aaron Belz’s first book, *The Bird Hoverer* (BlazeVOX, 2007) will soon be
succeeded by *Lovely, Raspberry* (Persea). He keeps a blog at
http://belz.wordpress.com and lives in Los Angeles.
--
RealPoetik
realpoetik.blogspot.com