[Realpoetik] MATTHEW HENRIKSEN

RealPoetik Magazine realpoetik at scn9.scn.org
Sun Nov 22 18:37:04 PST 2009

ECLOGUE

Only expectation makes sorry dwellings
However necessary destruction

I never tossed a brick out my third story window
I don’t want a stranger to expect

An apology from an open window
As I am unmanaged in this city

What needs naming needs mostly to remain unnamed
And stare blankly at a stranger staring blankly back

On ugly afternoons I fracture the light
That makes up this street and its bleak gloss

In the city’s empty frame I find the story of broken bottles
Unbroken and unnamed faces

In pieces of glass and in their eyes
Clouds pass

The city otherwise empty
An empty frame exactly what

Convinced me it is here
Before I am here

Before the river with filthy imaginings
Brought the city here with its belongings

*Matthew Henriksen* publishes Cannibal Books with his wife Katy and co-edits
*Typo* with Adam Clay.  Recent poems appear online at *Raleigh
Quarterly*,*The Cultural Society
* and *Front Porch*.  His chapbook *Another Word* is imminently forthcoming
from DoubleCross Press Single Sheet Series.
--
RealPoetik
realpoetik.blogspot.com