[Realpoetik] Timothy Yu

RealPoetik Magazine realpoetik at scn9.scn.org
Sun Oct 11 17:44:46 PDT 2009

DRIVE

Here we are
“east” of something

see orange
slow down
save lives

expression
of grief and rage

ha ha girlfriend
in the show

instructions
How can I write
anything

devoid of contempt
this
dissatisfaction

A smell of cars gone to ground
A platform elevated by human legs

You might truck in oil for sweetness
It’s a job—land for sale—here

I want to know what has happened to my vision
of a devastated bulb protected
by a cage of shadow

an oat stuck in my teeth

You have exactly 13 minutes to circle
the drain of a different culture
doors open on the left and right

awareness week

your dad’s house in Milwaukee
your step sister’s down south
no bids

I could just eat like crazy
a red mass pierced by cutlery
in the 24-hour hotel room
of my heart
                            and then I
am back in school like a half-hour special
riding a Vespa through the empty halls
of California

there is a what I cannot tell you
this warmed-up gazpacho of many doors closing

oh and then Nick said on email that he had a big car
an open 40 behind the angled screen

Indianapolis
Bloomington
I still want to drive
I know it’s wrong
I have a little car

*Timothy* *Yu* is the author of the chapbook *Journey to the West* (Barrow
Street) and the critical book *Race and the Avant-Garde: Experimental and
Asian American Poetry since 1965* (Stanford University Press).  His poems
and prose have appeared in *SHAMPOO*, *Rabbit Light Movies*,* Boog City*
, and *Chicago Review*.  He teaches at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

--
RealPoetik
realpoetik.blogspot.com