[Realpoetik] JOSEPH WOOD

RealPoetik Magazine realpoetik at scn9.scn.org
Sun May 8 08:28:39 PDT 2011

*from *The* *Vyvanse Triolets**

XI.

Now I the rower gentle on the water. Now I the water gentle

in refraction. If this the moon, I befuddled by its light

touch on owls, on feathers, on one bare branch settling

the rower toward stasis. If I drown, it will be in my genitals,

that dreary drooping flesh I detested—it put you in hospital

and daughter arrived to this sick, sad world. I was blighted

in my skull’s noxious water. I rowed in circles gently

so as not to incur reflection. The moon insisted on light.

XXXXVII.

Reflection owes the moon no debt. Its light not insistent,

noxious, nor gentle—sometimes a circle, traces of water

located where I—unharnessed, floating, breathless—

would see not—nor owe—reflection.  Its light insists

to those outside its body—there’s not lying one place

that’s an earthling skull or a genital—strange creatures

believe the moon owes their species’ reflection, insist

they are gentle—they trace a circle, make an *X—*water.

*Joseph P. Wood* is the author of two full collections of poetry--*Fold of
the Map *(Salmon 2012) and *I & We* (CW Books 2010)--and five chapbooks. New
poems can or will be found in *Boston Review, Bateau, DIAGRAM, Hotel
Amerika, horseless review, *and* Handsome,** *among others. He teaches at
The University of Alabama and is one of six members running The Slash Pine
Projects, an undergraduate internship focusing on community arts and
micropublishing. His website is www.josephpatrickwood.com.

--
RealPoetik
www.realpoetik.org