User Survey - Please Help!

Kevin Higgins wheels at scn.org
Sat Jul 22 14:00:55 PDT 1995

Dear SCN User,
	The following is a survey put together by the SCN Outreach
Committee and Seattle University Students helping us develop a business
plan for SCN.  We are requesting that you take several minutes and fill
out this survey.
	All questions are optional, and all answer will be treated
confidentially. E-mail responses to me, Kevin Higgins (wheels at scn.org)
	The results will be used to help us make SCN a better community
network for all of us. In particular, it will help us focus on which
areas of SCN are in greatest need of improvement to improve the quality
of service provided by SCN to you, the user.  If you want something
improved, please let us know what you would like changed and how you
would like it to be.  Pleasee keep in mind that we have limited resources
and will not be able to implement all suggestions.

	Thanks in advance.

	Kevin Higgins --- wheels at scn.org

*******************SCN User Survey**********************
Please indicate your responses in a manner that will be
clear to us and easy for you.

1) a. Gender: M/F
   b. Age range: 11 and under  12-17  18-23  24-29  30-34  35-39  40-44
                 45-49  50-54  55-59  65-69  70 and up.
   c. Home zip code:
   d. Work zip code:
   e. Employer/Type of business:
   f. Occupation:
   g. Education:

2) How knowledgeable you feel you are abut computers?
   1          2      3        4      5
very poor   poor   moderate   good   excellent

3) How did you first hear about SCN?
   1        2        3                4                 5          6
online   roadshow  press release     brochure          Friends    word of
                   or Public service in public library            mouth
                   announcement
   7
others (please indicate)

4) Do you currently own a computer with a modem? Yes or No
   If yes, what kind of computer________________

5) How do you usually conect to SCN?
   1          2          3            4             5         6
SCN number  SPL numbers  KCLS number  telnet from   WWW     other
                                      other system

6)How often do you logon to SCN?
   1            2                3            4            5
infrequently   Monthly/         Once a week  several      daily.
               once in a while              times a week

7) Have you ever had trouble getting connection to SCN?______
   What is your primary  use for SCN?
    1        2           3        4                       5
for email   lynx/www  read news participate               others (indicate)
                                in the forum discussion

8) What other online service do you use? What is your main purpose for
using each one?

9) What menus do you visit most often?___________ What topic are you
interested in seeing on SCN, currently and in the future?_________

10) Overall, how valuable to you is the information currently available on
SCN?
   0%  10  20  30  40  50  60  70  80  90  100%
  not at all valuble          completely valuable

11) Do you feel it is difficult to use SCN? Yes or No
    If Yes, how could we make it easier to use?
    a. Provide more information in the main menu about different areas
available in SCN.
    b. BE able to search for specific topics.
    c. Reorganize the tree stucture
    d. Have some info available through WWW (with Lynx)
    e. Others (please indicate)

SCN mission:
SCN is a free public access computer network for exchanging and accessing
information. Beyond that however, it is a service conceived for community
empowerment. Our principles are a series of commitments to help guide the
ongoing development and management of the system for both the organizers
and participating individuals and organizations. Our commitments are:
Commitment to Access, Commitment to Service, Commitment to Democracy,
Commitment to the World community, Commitment to the Future.

12) How well do you think SCN is fulfilling the mission?
  0%   10  20  30  40  50  60  70  80  90  100%
How could we better fulfill the mission?________________

13) About how many others SCN users have you communicated with (through the
internet)
   1    2    3      4
none   1-5   6-10  10 and up

14) About how many SCN volunteers have you communicated with?
   0   1  2  3  4  5 or up
   Do you remember their names? If yes, who_______________

15) Do you have any other comments or suggestion?
    Can we email you with additional questions sometimes in the future?
yes or no?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING TIME TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY