Re2: SCN Board Candidates and alt.sex.your.worst.nightmare

Lucys lbs at aa.net
Sun Jun 4 00:51:05 PDT 1995

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Janos Szablya wrote:

> I have no answers that are clear cut hear only we have issues that
> are greater than this thread that need to be addressed first and
> this issue should go on a back burner until it can be thought
> through. I feel the same way about violence/bombmaking it's just
> not the time when we are so far from being at the end of the first
> chapter of SCN.

  Well said. SCN is in the process of being a separate entity, and
  needs to focus on that first. First things first.

  These other issues, such as making SCN's commitment to all the
  alt.sex.* forums as some *grand celebrated cause* for 'free speech'
  are a *red herring*, which divert attention away
  from establishing SCN itself.

  (This whole topic was diverting attention away from the elections.
   It was one of the things that was making the elections into a
   3-ring circus!)

> On 3 Jun 1995, Kurt Cockrum wrote:
>
> > So, let the user sign a disclaimer saying they are over 18 and that they
> > will not allow young folk access to their terminal.  That way, if they

    Any *MINOR* child could sign a statement stating they are an adult.
    SCN would not be providing 'due diligence' if they did not add some
    administrative feature to *verify* that the person was in fact an
    adult. How SCN could do this, I'm not sure.
    However, it could be an administrative nightmare.

> > }	Offence to other members
> >
> > People who get offended by commonplace activities

    The most popular alt.sex.* forum is probably alt.sex.stories.
    These *commonplace* (???) stories include:

    incest, pedophilia, rape, bondage, S/M, and snuff stories.

    The time to debate the merits of the *usefulness* of the
    alt.sex.* forums is *later on*.
    I will be one of those people who will debate AGAINST these forums.
    Until later...

  Lucy S.                   lbs at aa.net
  Seattle, Washington  USA