the "free speech " issue

banerian banerian at scn.org
Sun Jun 4 21:39:06 PDT 1995

As newsadmin (!?!?) of SCN, what I'd like people to know about free speech:

1) it aint free.

2) the resource issue appears not to be disk space but processor speed.
Our neews machine literally cannot keep up with the news feed.  Too slow.
Our load average, on Sunday evening , is up to > 30!!!  I will be
requesting that our main feed back off on the feed. For now, partial feeds
of comp, news, soc, sci, alt, (none of talk, misc), and full of seattle,
pnw, wash, and if I can get it, tacoma (well, some of our users do hail
from the south!)

So, this will be the issue, disk space a reasonably strong second.
like it or not.  $$$   :-/

--
banerian			"The kids of today should defend
banerian at scn.org		 themselves against the 70's"