DIAC-97 Planning

Douglas Schuler comnets at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 10 15:06:33 PDT 1996

To: computer activists, community computing types, technology critics,
    interested citizens, social service providers, etc.

What: DIAC-97 Planning Meeting
When: 7:00 PM, Thursday, April 11, 1996
Where: 911 Media Arts, 117 Yale, Seattle (682-6552)

Although many of you were too young to remember... :-)  CPSR/Seattle
convened a very succesful conference in 1987 called the DIAC-87
symposium, where "DIAC" = the "Directions and Implications of Advanced
Computing."   At DIAC-87 several issues were discussed and SDI was
an important topic.  After the first one in Seattle, CPSR has gone
on to sponsor DIACs in Minneapolis, Berkeley, and two in Boston.
Now - approximately 10 years later we're returning to Seattle with
DIAC-97 scheduled for the happy month of February.

Although the title has not been chosen, the general theme will be how
computers have changed and could change community life.  We will be
looking at it from many sides and the word "community" is to be
construed broadly.  This did not start out as a CPSR conference - it
was proposed by two people who are still very involved but are happy to
see CPSR get involved as well.  In fact one thing that we want to do is
to get as many different organizations involved as possible.  We will
be looking for a wide number of co-sponsoring organizations and we are
also looking for individuals and groups to convene a large (20 - 50)
number of educational and thought provoking workshops that attendees
can enjoy.  (Please begin thinking of what you'd like to propose for
workshops!)  Anyway, this note is longer than I had expected it to be,
so I'll give my fingers a rest.  I'm hoping that some of you can show
up on Thursday evening and that you'll help make DIAC-97 the best DIAC
ever!!

Thanks!

-- Doug