Spamming

allen allen at scn.org
Fri Jan 5 23:09:03 PST 1996

This is not my experience at all Bob.  I just went back and looked up the
FAQs for the net-abuse newsgroups.  Actually, spamming has nothing to do with
content, by definition.  It has to do with multiple cross-posting to
newsgroups, regardless of content.  It seems to mostly be associated with
advertising and that is not how it is defined.  For more info check out the
FAQs for news.announce.net-abuse, the web site is the easiest way to do it.
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/net-abuse-faq/part1/faq.htm
because you can link to the various parts of it without haveing to wade
through the whole thing.  And while it certainly no hard and fast rule
the # of crossposting to newsgroups that many use as an indice of spamming
is 20.
Complaints about the content of a message are a different matter altogether.
And one I agree is best dealt with by responding to the sender and/or
his/her postmaster.  One generally accepted bad practice seems to be the
posting of commercial posts in most Usenet groups, often this is compounded
by spamming (posting to dozens of groups at the same time, regardless of
charter) and they are two separate offenses which often get accounts canceled
on commercial providers.  I think this is a policy issue that SCN needs to
address.  I don't think it is OK to say it is OK for our users to do anything
they want in the usenet groups.  Perhaps some of our policy needs to be
rewritten.  What worked for a user base of 1,000 users and no net access
other than e-mail may not be appropriate for a user base rapidly approaching
ten times that and with usenet and web access.  The net works without
censorship (it seems to me, tho I am relatively new to it) because it is
self regulating, part of that self regulation it seems to me comes from
internet providers being responsible to some degree for the actions of
their users and being willing to place restrictions on the kind of activities
that are OK for users.   SCN already does this, I just think it may need
to be revised somewhat to reflect our greater presence on the net.