SCN General Meetings

Jim Horton jimh at scn.org
Sat Jan 27 00:55:14 PST 1996

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, James Russell wrote:

> I think that the general meeting should be a user friendly meeting!
> This mean that everyone should have the opportunity to say hi! and say
> something about why they came to the SCN meeting! Once you you loose the
> people friendly attitude, than we have become Boeing, Microsoft and etc!
> The solution is set the time back to 6:30 pm and let the new member have
> that portion for intro. See how easy that was!! Remember we are a community
> network not a corp. board room!! Those of us who didn't make in the
> corporation, can speak up in SCN board room! Ha ha!!

I don't think anyone will argue with that, James. Introductions of both
new and old folks are a good way to start the meetings. When we start
drawing more than a hundred people, that may become more difficult. I
considered an early start time to do the SCN overview and orientation. It
would require scheduling the space with the library but may very well be
worth sding. My concern iss that we are moving into a time when we will
have a lot of SCN business to report and discuss with the formation of
SCNA and the migration to a new user interface paradigm. I am glad that we
have new people coming to every meeting, but it seems to be taking longer
and longer to do the litany each time. We can give them a lot more
information on a few sheets of paper without having to run through it each
time for everyone. We already have the new user orientation as a forum
dedicated to explaining just what SCN is and answering questions.

I have received a lot of positive response to my suggestion. Right now, I
am  going through a lot of flyers, handouts and other information we've
already put together to see what we can use and what needs to be updated.
Hopefully, we won't need to add too much to what we already have.

Maybe we should pose your suggestion to the list. What do folks think
about having a 6:30 - 7:00 new user orientation prior to the general
meetings? Do we have folks willing and able to come early and conduct
them? Our meetings are already scheduled well out into the year. Kevin, or
someone, will need to check with the library to see if we can move the
start times up a half hour.

Regardless, we will have some handouts ready for the next meeting and, I
hope, we will need less time dedicated to the recap of our story up to
now. There is nothing in this that will make the meetings less friendly.
If we can get the right information together, we should be able to make
the meetings better for the new folks than they are now. If we can
schedule the pre-meeting orientations, it will be even better.

What do you think?

Jim
--

Jim Horton