Stories, please! One more time..

allen allen at scn.org
Tue Aug 19 00:23:19 PDT 1997

OK..here is one for you Doug.

In Nov of 1994 I went to the Seattle Public Library to do some research
on some family history because of some questions from a friend.  I had
not been to the library for several years...I discovered that there was
no 'card catolog' anymore...it was all online...and then next...that
there was access to other library catalogs online.  I was able to find
the resource material I needed at another library and get it through
interlibrary loan.  At the same time...I began to be aware of the Internet
...and applied for a free e-mail account at SCN.  I got the account
confirmation around Xmas time that year.  Please note...at this time I
was pretty much computer and Internet illiterate...also, very depressed,
unemployed...isolated...etc.  I learned to use the system...began to
learn how to use the Internet...and wanted to get more involved.  So
started to go to the SCN meetings...wanted to volunteer...and it was a
bit hard to get connected.  Then...summer of 1995...they said they needed
help on the "help desk" at SCN...I didn't know a lot...and I figured
maybe I could help with the 'newbie' questions a bit.  Soon I was mostly
only one responding to questions...so many did not get answered...then
some other volunteers stepped in and helped out.  I decided to go back to
school...applied for...accepted to the Network Tech program at North
Seattle Communitty College.  Unfortunately, because of economic situation
was not able to continue...however, before I dropped out...through their
employment resources...applied for and got a job...doing Win95 tech
support!!!  this was with no background in Windows at all!  Not all of
the hiring was due to SCN, of course.  and I am quite sure that I would
never have had the opportunity if not for SCN.

<<please feel free to edit...as long as any changes other than grammatical
and formatting are submitted to me for viewing first.  thanks>>