news from New Orleans: the state extends its tentacles

Kurt Cockrum kurt at grogatch.seaslug.org
Tue Jul 1 11:20:51 PDT 1997

Doug Schuler forwarded:
>Thought that many of you would be interested in this...
>[...]
>> Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:30:48 -0500
>> From: Jessica Bray <jbray at gnofn.org>
>> Subject:      Louisiana Funding
>> To: COMMUNET at list.uvm.edu
>>
>> Dear Group:
>>
>> I have waited to post this for a week now, but it is official.  The
>> state of Louisiana appropriated 1.1 million to fund the expansion of the
>> Greater New Orleans Free-Net.  [...]
   ^       ^   ^       ^

Yikes! makes my blood run cold...
If SCN ever accepts money from the state, either on the federal or
state level, it'll never get any more support from me.  And I'll do
my best to get other people to do the same.  And I will ask that the
"kurt" user be deleted from SCN.

Can you imagine "free speech" on the GNOF? fnord!

In such an eventuality, it will be likely that a bunch of people will form rebel
freenets, sort of like various alternative media efforts currently going on, such
as FUCC and Eat the State.

As far as the kid thing goes (the "suitability for kids" thread currently running
on this list), who will protect us freethinkers from the hordes
of concerned parents (you, dear reader) frightened that their kids will recapitulate
the parent's childhood?  Parents, get a grip.  Maybe you should consider moving to some
country where they really do regulate the media, like Iran or China, or Singapore.
That way your kid will never turn into a raving pornographic marijuana-smoking
devil-worshipping serial.killer.sex.fiend, at least not until they manage to escape
back to the US for a couple of weeks on a trade mission, and go bonkers acting out all
their repressed desires and actualizing your worst fears.

All kinds of cliches come to mind at this point.  I'll only mention 2:
o	We are the people our parents warned us against (and so were our parents,
	although they were too dumb to realize it)
o	We have met the enemy and he is us (and never was anybody else)
--kurt
Sex, drugs and classical music: synergy or oxymoron?