news from New Orleans: the state extends its tentacles

Heather Holmback heatherh at redwood.rt.cs.boeing.com
Wed Jul 2 13:45:44 PDT 1997

Kurt wrote:

As far as the kid thing goes (the "suitability for kids" thread currently runn\ing
on this list), who will protect us freethinkers from the hordes
of concerned parents (you, dear reader) frightened that their kids will recapi\tulate
the parent's childhood?  Parents, get a grip.  Maybe you should consider movin\g to some
country where they really do regulate the media, like Iran or China, or Singap\ore.
That way your kid will never turn into a raving pornographic marijuana-smoking
devil-worshipping serial.killer.sex.fiend, at least not until they manage to e\scape
back to the US for a couple of weeks on a trade mission, and go bonkers acting\ out all
their repressed desires and actualizing your worst fears.

Dear Kurt,

I am so happy that I can always count on you, with your extensive experience
in raising children, for parenting advice.  Why, if it weren't for your
eloquent and convincing postings which always point out that there only two
opposing views a parent can choose from on the above issue, I might be lulled
into the wishy washy view that there are actually a lot of gray areas involved
which parents have to actually think about.   I might believe that it is
actually possible to be a freethinker AND a concerned parent.  Maybe you
should consider moving to some country like Iran or China or Singapore where
I am sure they could benefit from your wisdom.

- Heather Holmback