Newsletter topics

Rod Clark rclark at pop.aa.net
Sun Jun 29 03:36:30 PDT 1997

> Perhaps the menu keeper could just apply some simple ratings
> to the menu since the rating headers don't work with lynx for
> web pages (not necessarily just kids pages since we're going
> to open it up for everyone). Most of our stuff is so good for
> everybody I would hate to have to start limiting my kid to
> what he can access on scn.

Lois,

   Those rating headers, like the ones you're using on your IP
pages now, are proprietary to one or another commercial
filtering product. There are no standards for that, and SCN
isn't likely to endorse any specific commercial filtering
product.

   IPs, or SCN users making home pages, of course are free to
use any filtering service's rating headers, or any other means
to indicate the suitability of their content for children. IPs
are responsible for their own information content, as are user
home page authors, and SCN wouldn't interfere with whatever page
rating methods you want to use for your own pages.

   Things get a bit more difficult if we start categorizing
pages, whether by topic or by suitability for pre-teens. Making
a list of kids' pages doesn't affect the content of the pages,
but there's still room for some wariness about how any such
categorization would be done.

   If you have some specifics to suggest, that could lead to
some further discussion about how people want to proceed. So
far, there's no plan to do anything but let people fill out a
short description of their pages, to be used in the SCN home
pages directory listings (something likeYahoo's page
descriptions), using any terms they want to describe their own
pages.

   If that's good enough, then maybe we can avoid having a list
of Kids Pages or the like.

Rod Clark