Newsletter topics

Al Boss alboss at scn.org
Mon Jun 30 13:05:50 PDT 1997

Re:

> ... Should we have a page of Kids' Home Pages,
> where youngsters or their parents could choose to list their
> home pages if they want, instead of (or in addition to) listing
> them in the general grown-up SCN user home page listings?

Ugh--this sounds like WORK!  I think Rod raises some good points.  I'd
second the idea of an additional "topic page" on SCN for stuff directed
toward young folks, and if we do user pages it could include links to
those as well.

I really don't want to get into the business of rating sites, myself-- it
comes dangerously close to contradicting some of our free-speech etc. SCN
foundation.  I'd advocate more towards just linking to sites that have
paid resources dedicated to the upkeep of "okay" links, such as the the
KidsPage (http://www.kcls.org/webkids/kidpage.html) site maintained by
King County Library System.  Why re-do their work?  Why try to do the
impossible, serving as the guardians of the community and those fit to
rate what's universally acceptable?

Al