Articles

michaelh at scn.org michaelh at scn.org
Mon May 12 14:43:26 PDT 1997

  Certainly some of the old, unused lists could be trimmed, but
having at least one list per commitee is good.  The big problem with
the net is filtering - cutting down all the data to a manageable
chunk.  Having different lists for different topics makes this easier
(mail-reader can sort them into different folders, etc.)

>There's a policy list. Has anyone ever seen any discussions on
>it?
Yes I have, there was quite a bit of discussion when we were creating
the SCN principles.

As a member of the policy committee, I think the policy list is not
useless.  However, if that committee is disolved, then perhaps policy
should simply be forwarded to the new list for discussion of policy.

--
>services - open (outreach, roadshow, webmasters, mentors,
>marketplace, projects... move the general discussions to scn)

I don't think it makes sense to combine quite so many lists into
services (services is already a prety busy list.)
The Outreach function was clearly distinct from what services does,
(services deals with the running of scn - outreach with other
organizations, donations, fundraising, networking with other groups,
etc.)  I think this split is useful, and should be kept (people
interested in helping with web authoring may not want the mail about
organizing e-mail classes, etc.).  (As far as combining marketplace
and roadshow into outreach, from whence they sprang - fine)