Computer Support for Community Work TUTORIAL

Doug Schuler douglas
Sat Aug 1 15:17:38 PDT 1998

This is an announcement for a Computer Support for Community Work
TUTORIAL.  It is quite different than the workshop annnouncement I just
sent out.  This is associated with the CSCW conference and it is a
full-day tutorial that I will be convening.  The workshop is more
open-ended.  One of the my objectives with this tutorial is to get more
reseachers thinking about *public* applications and get more
practitioners think about new applications (sometimes inspired by
research results).  At any rate I am very interested in
researcher/practitioner collaboration.

Please feel free to distribute this to anybody who  might be
interested.  I'm hoping to attract researchers, software developers,
library people, government workers, social activists....

Thanks!!!

-- Doug

Please distribute to other interested people and lists -- THANK YOU!

                Computer Support for Community Work
         Designing and Building Systems for the "Real World"

                         Doug Schuler
		       douglas at scn.org

                      A CSCW 98 Tutorial
       http://www.scn.org/ip/commnet/cscw-tutorial-1998.html

                      November 14, 1998
		      9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
                      The Westin Hotel
                      Seattle, WA  USA

Social entrepreneurs, librarians, NGOs, small businesses, activists,
and government institutions all over the world are developing new
electronic tools for community work.  What works?  What doesn't?
What next?

This tutorial is designed to introduce CSCW researchers and
implementers to the field of public CSCW applications, services, and
institutions (or, what I call "Computer Supported Community Work").
It is the goal of this tutorial to present the major challenges and
opportunities involved in this endeavor and to engage all the
participants in an active dialogue as to the future of these new
systems.  Each participant should, after attending this tutorial,
have a much clearer idea what systems might be developed and what
they themselves can do to make that happen.

                         Tutorial Topics

  + What are public CSCW applications and why does society need them?

  + New services, applications, and institutions

  + Policy and Education

  + Technological Infrastructure

  + Organizational Issues

  + Challenges and Strategic Issues

  + Evaluation and Research Issues

  + Action Plans

You do not need to be registered for the CSCW 98 conference to attend the
tutorial.  There is an additional charge for the tutorial.  See the
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) web site
(www.acm.org/sigchi/cscw98/) for more information including how to
register for the tutorial.

Thanks for your interest!

-- Doug Schuler

Please feel free to contact me (douglas at scn.org) for more
information or to send me any comments.

(*) The 1998 Conference on Computer Supported for Cooperative Work
(CSCW 98) is sponsored by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).