No Pissing Matches, please

Joe Mabel jmabel at saltmine.com
Mon Dec 7 08:57:30 PST 1998

Last week I sent an email to Rich L. in an effort to discuss how he might
get his points across while causing less offense.  Much of my email
consisted of
my paraphrase of an earlier email of Rich's.  I myself do not necessarily
agree with everything here (although I agree with a lot of it).

I originally sent this message only to Rich.  He has emailed me back saying
I am free to post it.  I have edited out some remarks directed specifically
to Rich about my disagreements with his style.  The following is the
paraphrase.  I have included Rich's original email for reference

<begin paraphrase>
SCNA is declining in membership.  May I suggest that the board is more to
blame for this than I?  Please don't fob it off on me.

I am saying that easy, essential work is not getting done.  If the board
doesn't have time to do it, we have the wrong board.

However, it is true that there are serious demands on time and all of us
realize that volunteers, (including board members) by definition, don't
have the same amount of time as a paid worker.  We are all fitting SCN
into other lives.  You are and it is to your credit.  My limited knowledge
of your goals suggests to me that your basic life style includes
contributions to the community.  Would that most people did the same.

But we, the SCN users, do get to complain if EASY and/or ESSENTIAL
jobs are not being done.
(1) There is no good reason for the board not to institute advance agenda
notice.
(2) If electronic voting is too tough to implement (which surprises me) how
about some form of mail-in ballot?
(2) There is no good reason for the board not to post
minutes on the web site.  These items are ESSENTIAL to running a
democratic organzation.

I don't accept your characterization that I am pushing just
a personal agenda and that I am insisting on impossible accomplishments.

Also, it's been six months since those things were suggested to the board.
I have become skeptical about whether this is simply a matter of technical
difficulties.  It looks to me like organizational democracy is not a
priority for the board.
<end paraphrase>

The remainder of this is Rich's original message.