Voting and computer recycling

Sharma sharma at aa.net
Mon Dec 14 17:01:00 PST 1998

Hello,

I agree that we did not give sufficient notice about the availability of
the proxy voting this election. I hope we will keep copies of everything
we developed, improve them, and be able to put them up ahead of time next
year. Many of the libraries have printers that can be used to print out a
page. Perhaps by that time we will be able to have a system in place to
allow safe electronic voting. It will be much more difficult to have
secret electronic voting however, and many people want their votes to be
secret.

It will require the sustained effort of several volunteers to make certain
it happens, and must not use resources that might threaten the system
functioning. I hope those volunteers who wish to, and are able to, set up
the programs needed will appear. I am not skilled enough to write the
program and test it to make it happen. Just wanting it will not make it
happen.

I am discontinuing the recycling of used computers and printers, but
perhaps someone else would like to form a group to pick it up? The
Computer Bank Charity is doing a pretty good job and I plan to suggest
that those wishing to place old computers give them to the bank.

-sharma

PS. People who donate computers and printers seldom include any manuals or
drivers, so the recycling has been difficult for printers. Few companies
keep copies of the manuals for discontinued technology. With the
assistance of many others, SCNA has placed close to 100 systems now, but I
am spread too thin to continue past placing the few systems I have left.
And I just I don't have the space to store all that needs to be stored
when working on computers anymore. In order to successfully recycle
computers and printers, a secure work space and storage space with power
and heat would be needed.  Anyone have one they can spare?