Committee work beyond E balloting

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Sat Dec 26 00:02:53 PST 1998

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Rod Clark wrote:

(snip)

>    The ExComm meetings are where everything that costs money is
> discussed and made final. The most recent ExComm meeting, on
> December 15, was to determine what would and wouldn't be in the
> 1999 budget.

This is a serious problem.  The Excomm committee is an un-elected entity
doing the board business, if it is doing budget.  Also, as I understand
it, the Excomm meetings are NOT open to general members of SCNA or SCN.

The board should be meeting once a month, and then there would not be a
need for a secretive Excomm meeting.

It would not be absurd to note that by moving business and decision-making
from the board to the EXcomm meeting, the board has avoided public access
to decisions by moving many decisions to a secret and unelected group.  It
is good that Excomm minutes are published, but that information is after
the decisions have been made, so there is no chance for member input or
organization.

Rich