Homelessness and the web (looks like an attack, really)

Kurt Cockrum kurt at grogatch.seaslug.org
Sat Jan 10 09:02:33 PST 1998

	<199801092316.PAA09960 at accessone.com>

Charlie Barb said:
>I'm responding to what appears to be an interesting NY Times article
                        ^^^^^^^          ^^^^^^^^^^^
>about the homeless and the internet.

You seem hesitant about committing yourself.  Was it interesting or not?
Are you worried that the article might really be dull and boring and you
                                                 ^^^^     ^^^^^^
don't want to be caught expressing an erroneous opinion and maybe getting
overruled by your betters?  Are you a lawyer?
Or some kind of Intellectual Property Hall-Monitor??
Or an over-age schoolyard tattle-tale doing an "I'm gonna tell"?

>                                      My question is: wasn't someone
>recently thrown out of scn for distributing copyrighted newspaper
>articles to scn lists?

I hadn't heard about that.  I would have opposed it if I had known
about it.  If true, I think it set an evil precedent.

But what's *your* problem?  Are you getting ready to propose to throw
Steve Hoffman out of scn for posting what he thought was something
relevant to the concerns of this list?  If so, then bad cess to you, sir.

>                        Believe it was even this list.  Am I wrong?

Jeez, Charlie, cut us a little slack!  This isn't Intellectual Property
BootCamp, is it?  Ever hear of Fair Use?

You sound like somebody with too much time on their hands.
The sly, oily, Heepish tone of your posting is frankly quite offensive,
whether or not you are, strictly speaking, legally correct.
Although this is my personal opinion, I *hope* I speak for practically
all of scn (although that's probably hoping too much).
--kurt
 Saint Dogbert seeks out technology that has been possessed by the Demons
 of Stupidity.  He happens across a Software Developer...
 SD: I'll make the command easy to remember, like "CTRL-ALT-F4-DEL",
  and if they forget that they can just edit the source code in
  "COMMAND.COM".  Perfect!
 St. D (waving his aspergillum): OUT! OUT!
 [ from an old Dilbert cartoon, 1994 ]
 [ I wish St. Dogbert would expand his quest to the legal domain. ]