Homelessness and the web

Joe Mabel jmabel at saltmine.com
Mon Jan 12 15:12:41 PST 1998

For anyone who didn't slog through Kurt's long posting on Saturday, I think he made a lot of sense.  I hope he will view it as friendly that I resend the following paragraph.  SCN should seriously consider this policy change: let everyone have shell access if they want it.  If Speakeasy can do it without it becoming a security hassle, why can't we?

"And just as training wheels for bicycles are still made and sold,
so too will we always need FreePort and Lynx.  But they
ought not to be the procrustean beds that current SCN policy forces
all non-volunteer, non-IP users to lie in, just as training wheels
ought not to be permanently attached to their bicycle."