community networking and ...

Doug Schuler douglas
Mon Jul 27 14:01:37 PDT 1998

Here is news from Shava in Eugene.  As you may recall they're having
some IRS trouble about their non-profit status.

-- Doug

PS.  SCNA is an organizational member of AFCN and Joel Ware from SCNA
attended the San Jose meeting.

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:24:08 -0800
From: shava at efn.org (Shava Nerad)
To: afcn-members at lists.colorado.edu
Subject: Community Networking and the IRS

Those of you who made it for the San Jose meeting got a taste of the
complicated issues surrounding OPN's and Community Networking's struggle to
enlighten the IRS about commmunity networking.

For lots more information, please check out www.opn.org.  I'd particularly
like to point out these sections:

 www.opn.org/cn/afelogo.html -- join our web-badge campaign to
    support Internet access for everyone!
 www.opn.org/irs/toolkit.html -- be a local activist getting
    congressional, media, and grassroots attention to the
    advocacy of community networking

I'll be helping (I think!  Richard?) with the Virtual Civicnet conference
on Community Networks and the IRS.  Check it out to learn yet more! ;)
Remember, AFCN members get 1/3 off registration, only $50 for 3 weeks of
community.

I had a great time in San Jose, and I'm looking forward to more AFCN action
in the future.  As the convener of the Public Policy Working Group, I'd
like to invite any AFCN members who'd like to make public policy issues
(IRS, E-Rate, TIIAP funding, PUC issues,...) a priority in your involvement
to get up with me, and we'll be meeting virutally in August.

If you link to our website, please just drop me a line so we know who's out
there!

Thanks!

Shava Nerad                 (all original matls (c) 1998, Shava Nerad)
General Manager, OPN/efn    shava at efn.org, /* my opinions */
Information is Power -- Keep the Poor on the Net!  Send a check to:
OPN Legal Defense Fund, 448 Charnelton, Eugene, OR, 97401 (memo:OPN LD)

oops!  That's www.opn.org/irs/toolkit/ -- sorry!