Archiving the SCN list

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Mon Nov 2 12:49:21 PST 1998

SCN list members,

   We've been having a discussion over on the services mailing
list about a number of things, such as how much we should try to
grow SCN this year, and if so how.

   The various SCNA mailing lists are where many things get
discussed and decided about running SCN. But no one subscribes
to all 23 of the lists, or probably even to most of them. As a
consequence, SCN's organizational memory of its discussions has
become scattered and disconnected, with many people not knowing
or remembering, or having any way to find out, what many of the
people whose views and plans are important to SCN are talking
about on the rest of the 23 mailing lists.

   So we'd like to start echoing or copying some of the messages
that may be of general interest from other lists to this list,
scn at scn.org. And also start making a daily archive of messages
that are sent to this list, that would be readable from a Web
page. For an example of something like this, that an Information
Provider uses, see

        http://www.scn.org/ip/nwqrp/nwq-l

   This is an attempt to do two things. First, to encourage
posting or re-posting messages that are of general interest to
SCNA members, volunteers and users in a central place that
everyone knows about, and that everyone can read and contribute
to (by clicking on a mailto link on the list's archive Web page,
for people who aren't actually subscribed to the list). And
second, to encourage having more of an organizational memory in
some coherent form.

   So if you've felt comfortable tossing out ideas here to a few
dozen people in the past, but wouldn't be comfortable talking to
a much wider potential audience, please consider making some
posts on the committee mailing lists, and other posts here that
you think would be apprpriate for this more general list. We
haven't started archiving the list yet, and are still talking
about when to do it.

        http://www.scn.org/help/scnlists.html

Rod Clark