Archiving the SCN list

Michael Hanson michaelh at scn.org
Tue Nov 3 12:08:56 PST 1998

  A couple of problems with making a public archive of SCN list:
Spam -
  Discussions that are echoed to fora or web pages stifle discussion
because users must engage their anti-spam measures before posting, or
forgo posting to avoid spam.
  The archive software should obey directives like X-No-Archive: Yes

Duplicate postings -
  In the past, we have discouraged people from cross-posting to SCN
as well as committee lists.  Everyone who is on a committee list is
supposed to be on SCN.  So that means that members of the committee
get everything twice.  (This is even more of a bother if things are
cross-posted between several commitees - getting 3-4 copies of each
message makes it much harder to follow the discussion).
  Instead of encouraging CC'ing, perhaps users of the committee lists
should be encouraged to move discussions of general interest to the
SCN list, or to post a pointer on SCN telling people that this
discussion is occuring on such and such a list.