Is Civility Cowardice or Evasion? Other Choices Please

Sharma sharma at aa.net
Wed Nov 25 01:39:27 PST 1998

Regardless of Rich's enjoyment of "shooting from the lip", I fail to see
how it improves the functioning of SCNA. Verbal bullying in the name of
challenging "spineless cowering as a way of evading the discussion of
issues" is annoying to me, to say the least. I have no interest in working
with anyone who feels that intentional rudeness and verbal attacks are the
equivalent of a "good discussion".

I think that there is a need for serious discussion of the need for change
in SCNA. I don't think Rich's "style" is "serious", I feel it is bullying
and implies that anyone who does not want to join him in the mud is afraid
to face issues, or afraid to fight with him, or hiding something. It
assumes that those on the board, for example, have unlimited time to jump
when he snaps his fingers, and if we don't, we deserve personal abuse.

SCNA was set up to be both stable and open to change. It still is. Keeping
the system running is the first need. Changing the system, the software
programs which keep it running, is very time intensive and requires the
work of volunteers on the operations committee. The board can request that
operations work harder in areas where the users really, really want
change, such as the implementation of PINE for example, but we can't order
them to do so because they are also volunteers.

Rich may have forgotten that some of our attempts in electronic democracy
nearly brought the system down with email loops. Any change needs a person
or committee which will focus on that change. In spite of Rich's contempt
for the efforts of many, many people, some changes which are needed have
so far proven unsolvable, for example the database project.

Rich you may believe that your style of communicating is fun, and helps
SCNA, but it has also hurt many people's feelings and has driven some
volunteers away. It may not seem to you important, but not everyone is
willing to continue to participate if the price is being attacked by you,
and by others, who prefer that as a mode of discussion.

I personally am unwilling to have the "community culture" be one of "if
you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen", because it will mean
that only those who enjoy trading attacks will stick around. Is that what
you want?

Sincerely,

-sharma