Civility and Sharma's Note

Barb Weismann bb140 at scn.org
Sun Nov 29 09:58:02 PST 1998

Rich:
Most of this discussion is of secondary consequence to a point I believe
Sharma made: doing the job.  Where is the substantive, job/work related
issue here?  Get lost from that, and you are using us for group therapy.
I for one just don't care about that.  I want to see forward movement on
issues.

You brought up a major one: board agendas.  This is of rather vast
importance.  The membership does have the right to know what business is
going to be conducted at board meetings and to know the results of that
business in a timely manner.  Otherwise, I personally feel that board
members are abdicating their responsibilities and/or expropriating power
from the membership.  We can, of course, vote them out.  But wouldn't it
be easier if we just asked them to get a little more organized and
responsive, like: publish the dang agenda, you guys, along with the
meeting place and time; at least a week prior to the meeting.  If there is
very little on there, well, you can gradually learn how to remember to
post agenda items, like, learning the job, as you go along.

I remember I also asked, "how does one get on the agenda for a Board
meeting?" and what I got was not a routine (send us an e mail with your
proposal, we will post you one the agenda and return it to you) what I got
was invitations to the meeting.  No one ever asked me what the item was
nor told me whether I would be on the agenda.  The board isn't a party;
please make up some routines to be responsive to membership.

Barb

P.S. Rich, I think I believe more in the steam engine approach (regular,
steady pressure which is accessed until full throttle is reached) than the
internal combustion approach (lots of little explosions push the pistons).