web based mail for scn?

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Fri Oct 30 09:47:38 PST 1998

> I have no idea where the discussion went but I am one of the people
> that thinks it would be a good idea to have a way for people to pck
> up their scn via the web.  One of my students, Jakob Kaivo,
> has developed a web based e-mail program.  I have not checked it
> out yet.  He would be very happy if scn found a use for it.
> The url is http://www.atdot.org/.

Doug,

   Al's discussion of Web-based e-mail led to looking into
several such software packages. AtDot's product was considered,
up through a review of its documentation. We did install and
test two others. Hardware/Software rejected one of them after
some initial testing. The other, Endymion MailMan, is still up
and running for further testing. Several people used it to check
their mail at the Webmasters meeting on Sunday. There are other
and probably better products, but we'd need a budget before we
could buy and test them. Endymion is free for non-commercial
use, and the source code is available (which we'd need, because
it has at least a couple of minor bugs.)

   We might be able to announce a public demo by sometime next
week, if Webmasters and Hardware/Software are agreeable to that.

Rod Clark