Parents/Grandparents Class on Safe Surfing for Kids... (fwd)

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Tue Sep 8 16:42:02 PDT 1998

Randy,

Right on!  A very considered discussion.  Thanks.

*****  Unless stated otherwise, this message may be forwarded.  ******

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Randy Groves wrote:

> I've always thought that KCLS came up with a GREAT idea when it started
> the Netmasters program.  The breadth of the classes that are described
> makes me think that not only would it be a positive thing for SCN
> volunteers to do similar stuff, but that we need to broaden the scope of
> our classes.

Yes indeed.  Intermediate e-mail; web cruising, etc.  We do have limited
number of teaching vols right now and that is a very limiting reality that
needs to be addresseed.

I believe that the comments that Joan (I don't remember her
> last name at the moment) from the library made about our e-mail class
> point up the fact that we need to start teaching about e-mail in the
> broader sense, and not just as it applies to SCN.  But perhaps this has
> already happened.  It would be a great service to the students if we
> covered the different types of e-mail available and discussed the
> positives and negatives of each.

Here name is Joan Johnson.  She subsequently thanked SCN vols. for all
their dedication and good work, so she is positive towards us.  But you're
right, we should sit down and discuss expanded service (how possible,
etc.)  Andrew?  Whaddya think?

> I believe that SCN e-mail accounts still provide, if not the BEST of both
> worlds, at least a very good way to be able to utilize both worlds.

I am emotionally bonded to our unix e-mail, but I can see how it is
SERIOUSLY COMPLEX for people just entering computer-dom.  That doesn't
mean we can dump unix, but it has begun a dialogue about changing.

The
> fact that you can get to SCN mail via POP makes it possible for people to
> use the Netscape and Explorer GUI in the library to read their mail.

I don't know how to use pop to use Netscape or Explorer.  Could this be
taught to us e-mail teachers?

They
> can also use the Hotmail reader to get their SCN mail.  And they also have
> the possibility of being able to dial in directly if they are not able to
> access these type of terminals.  Juno is probably the most restrictive of
> the three, since you are restricted to using the Juno software, they don't
> have versions for the Mac, and the numbers for local calling are limited,
> if you do not live in the metropolitan area.
>
> One other advantage that SCN accounts have over both the others is that
> you can forward your mail to another account if you need to or so choose.

As Jim H. said at the last Outreach meeting, the main advantage of SCN is
that it is FREE.  We do want to keep featuring that in our public
communications. >