WHAT difficult e-mail?

Bill S bk846 at scn.org
Sat Sep 12 17:23:33 PDT 1998

Rich;

Let me give it a quick try:

UNIX is an operating system that tells the computor how to perform basic
functions like recognizing the keyboard and the screen as well as running
programs such as the various kinds of e-mail, web browsers, word
processers etc. DOS is also an operating system(of sorts) as is MS-
Windows.

E-mail programs such as Pine, Eudora, Outlook and Freeport are programs
that run on an operating system to perform a function, in this case
e-mail.

You can run graphic e-mail programs on UNIX as well as on MS-Windows. What
we are trying to talk about is use of a graphic capable connection to SCN.
That is an Internet protocol called PPP (or alternatively SLIP).

If this doesn't quite make it clear maybe somebody else can give it a try.

Bill

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Rich Littleton wrote:

> I can't figure the meaning of this.  Would someone translate it into
> normal?
>
> Rich

> *****  Unless stated otherwise, this message may be forwarded.  ******
>
> On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, John Johnson wrote:
>

> > And then we have the _ignorant_ "rascals" that keep getting Unix confused
> > with e-mail.  The e-mail classes teach _e-mail_ (unless some instructors
> > are doing major deviation from the syllabus), and there simply is no Unix
> > involved.  None.

> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  From the Listowner  * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > .	To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to:
> > majordomo at scn.org		In the body of the message, type:
> > unsubscribe services
> > END

Bill S