difficult e-mail?

Joe Mabel jmabel at saltmine.com
Wed Sep 16 08:13:15 PDT 1998

JJ, I object to the snide tone you are adopting.  This discussion is
useful.  The "let's step outside & fight" tone isn't.

Easy for one person is not easy for another.  If you are used to a GUI,
easy means meeting the expectations of that GUI.  If you are used to a
command line interface, easy means command line interface, like ancient
Unix mail.  If you've worked in computers for 20 years it's all easy.

Ctrl-X to send is only easy if you are used to that sort of thing.  Ctrl-W
to search is almost pathological, but if you've used Pine/Pico enough you
are used to it.  I don't find Pine notably friendly or unfriendly, but it's
one of the 100 or so computer programs I know well enough not to need to
think about whether it's friendly.  I suspect you are in the same boat.  I
suspect it's not the same 100 or so programs.

My dad likes AOL's mail.  Go figure.  I think it's crap.

But the point of what Rich & others are saying is that we should get away
from "one size fits all".  No one wants to take Pine away from you.  The
point is that if we want to serve a community we need to respect diversity:
not just as a buzzword for racial, ethnic, class, and sexual diversity but
actual rubber-meets-the-road diversity in how people want to use our
system.