difficult e-mail?

John Johnson jj at scn.org
Wed Sep 16 22:49:28 PDT 1998

and fight attitude".  Now that wasn't quite what I intended in my previous
message, although I will grant that there was strong attitude showing, and
a certain bluntness and lack of amplification from which gentler souls
might fairly take an objection.  However, that message wasn't primarily
directed to gentler souls--it was directed to Rich Littleton, who seems to
have the rhetorical finesse of a driverless bulldozer.  (Easy, folks!  I
don't say that is necessarily a bad thing, or mean it as a moral judgment.
It's just a reality that has to be dealt with.)(Besides, sometimes we need
bulldozers.)  Sorry Joe, and my apologies to any other gentler souls that
were standing too close when the charge went off.

Let's look at the issue.  Rich has been going long and hard on a tirade
that the e-mail "system" we teach in the SCN e-mail classes is "too
difficult" (or "complex" or "user unfriendly") for our users.  So?  What
we teach in the classes is constrained to what we use on the system.  (We
should teach how to use, say, Hotmail?)  Ah, but perhaps Rich meant to
raise the issue of what e-mail front ends we _should_ have available on
the system.  Fine, I have no objection to that.  (But that is not properly
an issue for the e-mail class.)

Now I can speak from personal experience (having taught the classes, and
worked on the Help Desk) that _any_ e-mail front-end, and perhaps even the
concept of e-mail in itself, seems to be too difficult for some people.
But to adopt a requirement that e-mail should be _zero_ difficulty is
absurd:  there is no such beast.  The best we can do is decide which of
the extant choices is _least_ difficult.  (Or fastest, or bluest, or
whatever criteria we think appropriate.)  And I have no objection to a
discussion of the various merits and qualities of various e-mail
front-ends. (I am also in full agreement with the rest of the points Joe
made about the relative qualities of different programs.)

What I do object to is Rich trashing Pine (or was it Unix?) without
showing us anything he thinks is better.  And I strongly object to his
trying to get a commitment that we should get a friendlier "system"
(presumably a front-end that he thinks is friendlier--or is he
contemplating replacing SMTP?) without telling us what this mysterious
friendlier system is.  That is tantamount to signing a blank check.
Therefore my challenge to Rich:  what is this mysterious "friendlier"
system(s)?  He wants us to change, but to what?

Mind, I am not saying that Pine is best of all possibilities.  But unless
someone can show something better it is rather senseless to continue
trashing it.

(Rich also insinuates that I was trying to derail this discussion of
e-mail front-ends.  Not so.  I am trying to get it back _on_ the
rails.)

My apologies again to anyone that thinks this message was too long.  But
do consider:  1) when explication is needed brevity isn't always good, and
2) my previous message ("put up or shut up") did have the (abeit question-
able!) merit of brevity.

(For anyone that wants to chew this further, I've included below the
message that I previously responded to.  Unedited, of course.)