difficult e-mail?

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Thu Sep 17 13:18:39 PDT 1998

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Lutheran Social Services wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Kenneth Applegate wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Erik Stevens wrote:
> >

> Sorry, should have been more precise - the "Y" print command does not
> appear to work when you're on a LAN and using network printing. I haven't
> tried it recently at home with a local printer, but will try and see what
> results I get.

Not so - it seems to vary from one setup to another. I just printed your
posting with the Y command to an inkjet hooked to a Win 95 PC on the U of
Washington network system. If I go in the next room, I can do the same
thing to a Laserwriter hooked to a Mac on the UW network.

On the other hand if I try the same thing to the Laserwriter from a Win NT
machine connected via parallel port cable, and going through a "smart"
printer switchbox, I get zilch printout from Pine. I haven't tracked it in
detail, but I suspect the switchbox must be intercepting some critical
control sequences from the Pine download. Possibly your LAN is doing some
kind of interception that prevents Pine from activating your printer.

Ken Applegate

P.S. - I have never seen any problem with using the Pine "Y" command over
a dialup connection.

> Erik Stevens
> also at Lutheran Social Services
> lss at scn.org
> kamast at scn.org

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!