Which mail list?

Al Boss alboss at scn.org
Mon Sep 28 15:27:00 PDT 1998

Hi, folks.  I've got a quick request to make: can the various SCN
listowners chime in to help us figure out the best list for the various
conversations we've been having?

For example, the text-vs.-graphical e-mail question is huge, and mabye
the scn list is a good place to discuss it.  However, when we get into
the nuances of how the various e-mail programs work, is that a more
detailed level of information than our general SCN interest list might
warrant?  If so, where does the conversation go?  Is the e-mail training
list a subset of the services list, or do we need to send to both lists
to reach everyone?

I'm guessing that general guiding concepts and debates (are we a
dinosaur?  should we have fees for some things?  is it a floor wax or a
dessert topping?) that reach across all of SCN are best discussed on the
SCN list.  We've been talking a lot about e-mail, for example--the
ultimate decision will have to take into account what our machines will
handle (hardware/software) and what our users will accept (services),
though we need to include those folks with special insight (e-mail
training and help) while considering that the outcome will affect all of
us (scn).  Where the heck should discussions like this be taking place,
then?

(Can you guess that I've been getting a zillion cc's of everything?)

I gave the Web site a quick glance but didn't see anything under
"Volunteers" that gives the intro statements from all the lists--what
the list is for, etc.  If this information isn't already online, can we
put it there?  (Yes, I do save the intro files when I'm added to a list,
but being an SCN fossil I'm on a lot of lists that were around before we
had intro files--including services, scn, etc.)

Happy Monday to all,

Al