FWD: ANTI-WTO: Don't throw the radicals overboard

Randy Groves randy at scn.org
Thu Dec 16 08:47:51 PST 1999

Here's the problem that I see with 'direct action', especially and
specifically when property is destroyed.  During the WTO, there was a
golden opportunity to make a significant impression on the minds of many
people who, like myself, do not think about the global issues every minute
of the day.  The actions of 'shutting down' the WTO were significant.  I
commend the labor, environmental, and other activists who brought this
about.

But arguing that destruction of property is justified, even if held by
corporations that some say are faceless, is crap.

The issue to me here is people.  Corporations own the establishments, but
people run them.  And it is people who are put out of work, and who are
affected by the actions of a small band of individuals who think that the
corporations are going to give a small rip about property that is covered
by insurance anyway.  The 'anarchists' claimed they only went after the
big guys and left the little guys alone.  What were they thinking?

Even if you can argue that the police might have over-reacted, the ensuing
riots, closure of the downtown, and property damage but people who were
just out for a good time, surely damaged the little guys.  At a time when
most of the businesses count on a large influx of shoppers, they were shut
down.

All this because a few idiots decided that they are a law unto themselves.

It really is disappointing.  Instead of what could have been a lasting
image of a joyous celebration of the power of many people speaking out
with one voice, we are left with the images of broken glass, tear gas and
rubber bullets.  What a shame.  I agree with the columnist in the Seattle
Weekly, writing after the event - the anarchists activities sucked.

-randy