NWR: PROTECT your ISP CHOICE (fwd)

Lorraine Pozzi femme2 at scn.org
Wed Jan 13 07:53:00 PST 1999

Sorry for any duplications.  LP

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 05:17:23 -0800
From: Krishna Fells <solart at earthlink.net>
To: Seagrrls NWR <nwr-list at nwlink.com>, SWG <swg-announce at drizzle.com>,
    Seasigi <seasigi at nwnexus.com>
Subject: NWR: PROTECT your ISP CHOICE

AT&T has hired one of the most powerful lobbying firm in Seattle to
attempt to persuade the City of Seattle and King County not to make open
access for ISPs a condition of the ATT/TCI merger.  Gogarty and Stark
are the folks who managed the two sport stadium issues in Seattle, and
carry a lot of weight in the city and county councils.

It is a sign that our efforts to make open access for ISPs a condition
of
the city and county approving the merger are gaining ground.  We have
the
support of King County Executive Ron Sims, as well as Seattle City
Councilmembers Podlodowski and Licata.  I have been meeting one-on-one
with
many councilmembers, explaining why it is important that there be
competition on the cable modem platform.  But a common theme is that
they
are not hearing from ISPs or their customers.  We have a very persuasive

argument, but I can't make it alone.

The press in Seattle has been very sympathetic as well, with both the
Seattle PI and the Times running favorable articles as well as endorsing

the idea on their editorial pages.  But the councils need to hear from
YOU.

Folks who are supportive of making open access  for Internet Service
Providers a condition of the ATT/TCI merger ESPECIALLY THOSE IN SEATTLE
AND KING COUNTY to write, call, or e-mail the Seattle City Council and
the King County Council.  Even if you are outside of King County, this
issue will affect you downt he road as other cable systems come up for
review, we must set a precedent here.

You may get information on what to say at http://www.waisp.org and
clicking on "what's new" and reading the testimony and Q&A we have been
using.  Also, the Texas Internet Providers have put up a web page to
help in their fight in Dallas.  It has a good "sample" letter you can
use.  That web page is at http://www.peoplehelp.org  WAISP is going to
set up a similar web page very shortly.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU E-MAIL OR WRITE.  Councilmembers are
asking to hear from ISPs and consumers!

Also, mark your calendars for two public hearings where you or someone
from
your staff should testify in favor of requiring open access.  Monday
Jan.
26 from 1130am to 130pm and Thursday Feb. 4 from 700pm to 900pm, in the
Seattle City Council chambers at city hall.

E-mail addresses for Seattle Councilmembers and King County
Councilmembers
are listed below.  Kindly copy me on any letters you do send as well.

Seattle City Council

Martha Choe
martha.choe at seattle.ci.wa.us

Richard Conlin