Association For Community Networking

Doug Schuler douglas
Thu Jan 21 15:37:12 PST 1999

Greetings!

Amy Borgstrom, the president of AFCN, recently set out a personal
challenge for herself to recruit two new members by April 1st.  I'm
trying to at least match that...  { help me ! }

As many of you know there was a considerable void after NPTN, the
National Public Telecomputing Network folded -- there was no national
umbrella group for community networks.  Several of the pioneers of
community networking including Steve Cisler, Amy Borgstrom, Richard
Civille, Joan Durrance, and Steve Snow (among others) formed the
Association For Community Networking to take up the slack (others have
recently done the same in Europe; a Canadian association has existed
for years).  It's really just beginning and SCN is one of the community
network members (as opposed to individual members).

So far AFCN has received no (or almost no) funding and, like SCN,
relies almost entirely on volunteers.  Since it is young, however, what
happens in the short-run may turn out to be very important in the
long-run.  Currently several SCNers and other Seattle info-activists
are members BUT WE NEED MORE!!  We can benefit from them and they can
benefit from us.

Please consider joining AFCN!

"AFCN's mission is to improve the visibility and vitality of community
networking by building the capacity of people and organizations,
raising public awareness, identifying best practices, influencing
policy, and developing products and serives."

See http://www.afcn.net for more information.

Thanks!

-- Doug

PS.   Members get a quarterly newsletter, enrollment in AFCN
newsletter, discounts on conferences -- but most importantly (IMO) a
chance to become a stronger contributor and support of community
networks nationwide.  Student membership is $50; US membership is $75;
international $100; organizational $150.  Send checks to Association
For Community Networking, c/o Charlotte's Web, 119 East Seventh St.,
Charlotte, NC 28202.