Show me the Money:

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Thu Jan 28 18:58:27 PST 1999

Gianni replied in a well thought-out manner and I applaud his reasoned
response to James' message.

The kernal of his reply, however, shows that we are still short of the
goal.  Quoting from Gianni:

What the bylaws do require (as you pointed out), is that our statements be
prepared by an independent CPA. We have been investigating this, too,
although so far our advice is that this would also be cost-prohibitive >
and not necessary.
______________
End quote.

Gianni is being forthright enought to admit that we are not complying with
the bylaw requirement, because we deem it too expensive.  That is a
difficult position to be in, but I'm pleased Gianni is being open about
it.

Gianni then went on and mentioned the management service we've sought. I
assume he is saying that the management service will provide at least a
spreadsheet-style accounting of income and specific expenditures (at no
additional charge?).  That might go a long way toward providing the
information James requested, but he would have to clarify that.

Gianni's assertion that there has been no abuse of funds is probably
correct.  But the purpose of accounting is not just to catch abuse, but to
prevent (or at least diagnose) accidental mis-handling of funds.

I agree that SCN has been doing well with its money generally.
Additionally, I am glad we have James around to press us to be
professional.

Later,

Rich