WEB: Why Attack? [was Revisit number forty two hundred]

Joe Mabel jmabel at saltmine.com
Thu Jul 1 08:14:58 PDT 1999

I disagree.  If I think person A has attacked person B unfairly, I'm going
to speak up, even if I'm otherwise a bystander (though I will usually
address my remarks privately to person A).

In my opinion, conflict, even attacks on individuals, is not necessarily
inappropriate or unfair, and that I'm suspicious that talk of "civility"
becomes a means of restraining dissent. However, underhandedness is another
story.  Writing an attack on someone and then weaseling out of it ("oh, I
didn't mean YOU" without even so much as an apology that ones words read --
even accidentally -- like an attack) is either incivility, cowardice, or a
refusal to see things from the other person's point of view.

I, for one, am a lot less offended if someone says, "Joe's totally wrong
here" or even "Joe's lying" than if someone says, "One of our IPs who
maintains a crisis resource directory seems to have an honesty gap," or
some such...especially if I step forward to discuss the matter and they
deny they meant me, or even pretend they don't see how I could take it as
meaning me.

And just so I'm not accused of the same,
- yes, several people have done this sort of thing lately
- I've been to busy to even keep track of who is saying what, so I don't
have names. Besides, I'm not particularly angry at anyone or picking a
fight here (honest) but I'd like to see people think before they flame.  If
anyone asks my opinion of a particular statement, I will gladly give it.
- the most egregious case of this was a recent email that indirectly
impugned someone's honesty but left room for the writer to weasel out.
- the second most egregious was criticism of what is happening in certain
roles in SCN where the writer (who probably had honestly been writing about
roles, not individuals) seemed totally shocked, but not apologetic, that
real human beings had these roles and took the attacks personally.  You may
not have known who was doing these jobs, but obviously SOMEONE was.  Either
you are critical of them and should stand your guns or you aren't and
should drop the matter.  Saying, in effect, "Oh, I think things need to
improve around here but it's nothing about your performance" is ridiculous.
 Conversely, if someone is in a public role in the organization (board
member, head of a committee, volunteer coordinator, they should expect
criticism of their performance.  It is not uncivil to say, "I think
conferencing software deserves much higher priority than it is receiving
from the Hardware/Software committee."

Joe Mabel
206-284-7511
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." L. Frank Baum