Lobby group idea

Barb Weismann bb140 at scn.org
Fri Jun 25 10:57:24 PDT 1999

Dear scners:
I came up with this idea to try to find a way to focus our efforts in
getting change and getting things done on scn.

Some of us have pretty strong agendas.  Those agendas take Board decisions
and the cooperation of Volunteer Coordinators and IP Coordinators, etc.
Right now, we try and hit all of them at once, and no one takes the buck.

I suggest we form lobby groups surrounnding very specific issues. For
instance, mine might be purchasing and setting up conferencing.  I would
"represent" this idea, and work with those who want to decide things, to
make up a simple proposal. This part of the work would be input and
meeting-related, especially if the idea is complex, like "increase fund
raising activities at scn."

This work group would go to the general group to get sign ons, those
interested in having the idea come to pass. At this point, the general scn
public would have to either accept or reject the proposal, not offer
suggestions.  If an idea got 10 to 12 supporters, beyond the original
workers, then it would be taken to the Board, and to the monthly meeting.
If it got no support, it would be re-worked or tabled.

The monthly meeting could ratify interest on the proposal, and ask the
Board to accept it at their next meeting.  If the Board could not accept
it, we would ask that they make positive statements as to why they could
not support it, including the things that must be done first in order for
them to be able to accept it.  i.e. they can't just say no, they have to
provide the lobby group with alternatives.

If the Board failed to review the proposals, well, we can use our lack of
interaction as the means of voting them out as Board.

This is rather like the "initiative" process in place in our state
governments to allow people to make law.  It is supposedly used when
legislators are not following the will of the people.  It is as you know
also used for initiatives which legislators are not willing to touch.

I would like to keep the idea informal, for instance, I don't think it's a
good idea to start making up rules as to how many people have to sign on
to a proposal before it goes to the Board.  In some cases, three might
have to do it, because only three have the expertise to understand the
problem, like that.

What do you think?

Barb