Revisit number forty two hundred

Kenneth Crandall grayfox at foxinternet.net
Sat Jun 26 20:02:55 PDT 1999

Hi Barb,

I am Kenneth Crandall, an IP volunteer.

My gut feel is that your proposal is an overkill and could lead to many
volunteers saying the  "paper work" (albeit on-line) is just too much (see
additional details below).  However, I feel that there is merit to your
objectives.

A better definition of the type of tasks (specific job requirements and/or
the opportunity to get on-job training) to support SCN's goals and an
indication of the priorities and current status of major efforts might
induce some of us to either attend meetings or to respond by providing
additional time volunteering for tasks that interest us.  Meeting agendas
are useful since busy people will attend meetings that are particularly
interested in but do not like to spend time in general meetings.

I also believe that some form of information from the board and other active
bodies outlining the current and proposed projects that SCN is involved in
would also bring other "sometimes" volunteers (like myself) into a more
active role.

I have always preferred to be given responsibility for a task and then to
complete it with additional guidance or help if necessary.  I will take
responsibility for a mutually agreed schedule but I have never liked to
spend great efforts trying to keep everybody informed about what I am doing.
This in-work reporting often took more effort than the task itself.  It is
from this aspect that I believe that your proposal would drive away
prospective volunteers.  (see your items 1A, 1C, and 2C)

The penalty for not meeting these publishing demands (your item 3) would
certainly add new meaning to the old "Publish or Perish" axiom for
universities professors.

You obviously have reasons for believing that increased communication
between the SCN leadership and volunteers is needed.  (I myself  believe
that it would increase volunteerism). I therefore assume that you have
specific examples where the lack on communications has impacted your ability
to fulfill the role with SCN that you want to accomplish.  To address the
"paper work" concerns of potential volunteers like myself, it would be
beneficial to examine the specific communication problems instances that
have impacted you, and then ask, how could I have received the necessary
information with a minimal impact on the person I wanted the information
from.  Then using this "minimal impact" model, define proposed policy or
bylaw changes.

I hope these thoughts are useful to you.

Kenneth Crandall