Example of how we lose (fwd)

allen allen at scn.org
Sun Jun 27 21:08:02 PDT 1999

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Rich Littleton wrote:

> 2.	Improve our E-mail Offering
> 	We need to get a graphical (GUI) e-mail program of quality.  One
> the largest services SCNA provides is e-mail. But it is an uncomfortable
> product for too many.  I just learned that our planned PPP connection as a
> solution to this need will not really do the job because it will allow
> only 40 connections at a time.  We should contact techies from other free
> nets that have GUI e-mail and find out how those free nets deliver e-mail
> products.  [BTW, this would automatically affect the help desk effort.
> We would have LESS (tho still some) need for the help desk.  We should be
> giving enough effort to building our e-mail teaching program that we would
> automatically create a huge pool of help desk people.]

Rich.  I do not know what you mean by this?  Do you still not understand
the difference between what is running on SCN machines and what is running
on user machines?  With PPP access, a user connecting via that mode will
be able to run any e-mail program they want...this is not about what "scn
uses for e-mail.  Most of the internet uses the same program for e-mail
that we do.  GUI e-mail programs will be whatever the user chooses for
their own use.  We already have Eudora available for download.  and
Webmail for those that want that.  I am really unsure what you are asking
for here...and suspect you are also.  Perhaps it would be helpful if you
described in detail what you mean from a user perspective.  Oh, BTW, as
I understand it (may be incorrect on this) PPP connections would be
limited to 40 only if all phone lines were made available for that
usage...it may be less than that if a separate # is used for PPP
connections...which are only available thru direct dial-up access.  I
don't see this as a problem at this point...very rarely (if ever) are all
40 modem connections in use at any particular time.

> 3.	Establish Universal Voting for the Board

all SCNA members will be able to vote in the next election, whether or
not they come to the general meeting.  This process is in the works and
has been for several months.  It will be by snail mail for security and
legal reasons.