File space increase, volunteer recognition

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Sun Nov 7 11:28:59 PST 1999

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Janos Szablya wrote:

> 20 hours?   there are weeks when voice mail can take over 20 hours...
>
> A more managable number would be 52 hours a mere hour per week...
>
> or if you are teaching then... 78 hours
>
> If your on a committee the.... what life?

You raise a good point (blast your hide...), but you're not going to drag
me out in front of the shooting gallery on this one.  My kevlar is already
wearing out.

> Before we start on how to reward people how about defining people..
> I mean volenteer
> an "Active Volenteer" in any given arena must be devided into levels...in
> order to reward... but now we have the inequity of a classed system of
> reward and benifits.

Yeah, but...
Then you have to have the vols to handle this complexity.  Given the
apparent poor priority given vols. in our beloved org., it might the the
next millenium (3,000) before we reach the needed number.(However, I
hasten to add that the recent MOTD call for vol (a poem) has begun
bringing in people.  Good start.)

> I do not volenteer for the "perks" I do it because.... oh my here it
> comes...  I got a vanity account and didn't pay the $10 dollars.... so
> I've spent the last, way too many years, making up for it..

I laughed out loud at this.  Ah, guilt!  Where WOULD we be without it.
Actually, Janos, be comforted.  The universe is in balance.  I
misunderstood and paid $15 dollars for a randome (be718) account.  So the
Cyber Gods have been appeased.

Actually, I think that (watch this convoluted phrasing) everyone doesn't
volunteer for the perks.  However, a vol. might be more inclined to stick
with it if there is (a) some sort of group reality to the group the vol.
is in, (b) some ongoing benefit.  You are right, one cannot BUY vols.

> I volenteer because it's fun and it has wonerful rewards when you feel the
> joy of someone getting "hooked up" with children or friends.

Amen, hombre.  But admit it;  one perk you get is being tossed into these
roiling arguments on the lists wherein your mental agility is tested.
Adrenalin junky!

> I hope that after a few more years I'll also learn to spell volunteer, but
> until then I'll just keep volenteering...

I'm standing in the same que.  Why do you think I abbreviate it?

Later,

Rich